If you should be worried about any observeable symptoms after using the crisis contraceptive capsule, speak to your GP or talk to a nursing assistant at a intimate health clinic.
You should speak to a health care provider or nursing assistant if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your period that is next is than a week later
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You’ve got any unexpected or uncommon discomfort in your reduced stomach (this may be an indication of an ectopic pregnancy, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive tablet might communicate with other medications. These generally include:
- The natural medication St John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications used to deal with HIV
- Some medications used to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) to help make your belly less acid
EllaOne can’t be utilized if you’re currently using one of these simple medications, as it might not be effective.
Levonelle may be utilized, however the dosage might need to be increased – your physician or pharmacist can advise with this.
There must be no relationship involving the crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or prevent meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a while later.
If you wish to be sure your medications are safe to simply just take with all the crisis contraceptive capsule, pose a question to your GP or even a pharmacist. It’s also wise to browse the client information leaflet that is included with your medicines.
Can the emergency is got by me contraceptive supplement ahead of time?
You might be in a position to get the crisis contraceptive supplement prior to having non-safe sex if:
- You may be concerned about your contraceptive technique failing
- You will be taking place getaway
- You simply cannot get hold of crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance emergency contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit made of plastic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to the crisis supplement, plus it doesn’t communicate with every other medicine.
You’ll be able to decide to have the IUD left in as an ongoing approach to contraception.
Exactly How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are lots of forms of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper and they are a lot more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years can get pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but are nevertheless effective. The IUD works more effectively compared to the emergency supplement at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who is able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including women that haven’t been expecting and people who will be HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your history that is medical to if an IUD would work for your needs.
You must not make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or even a pelvic illness
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD shouldn’t be placed when there is a danger which you may already be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, however the danger of problems during insertion is somewhat higher.
Which are the relative unwanted effects associated with the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are unusual, but could add discomfort, illness, harm to the expulsion or womb(the IUD coming from the womb). If you utilize the IUD as a continuing approach to regular contraception, it could create your korean bride durations much longer, heavier or higher painful.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD will perhaps perhaps not respond with any kind of medicine.
Where may I get crisis contraception?
The emergency can be got by you contraceptive supplement together with IUD for free of:
- A GP surgery that delivers contraception (some GP surgeries may well not supply the IUD)
- A contraception hospital
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
You may also obtain the crisis contraceptive supplement clear of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some minor injuries devices
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant the thing is that may ask when it comes to information that is following
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your present menstrual period
- The date of this day that is first of final duration and also the usual amount of your period
- Information on any contraceptive failure (such as for example exactly how many pills you have missed, when)
- If you have utilized any medicines that could influence your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or higher, you could get contraception through the most of community pharmacies in Scotland, often cost-free. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The fee differs, nonetheless it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you should be perhaps not making use of a regular approach to contraception, you could give consideration to doing this so that you can reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the most efficient security against maternity, and you also don’t need to think about this every single day or every time you have intercourse.
LARC methods are the:
Where can we get it?
This will depend what kind of crisis contraception you employ. There are 2 practices:
- The crisis contraceptive tablet (early morning after pill) – there are two main kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not used contraception
- Your typical approach to contraception has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized in place of your method that is usual of.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having unsafe sex, the greater effective it really is. To get more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive tablet
Levonelle is present totally free with out a prescription. You could get it from many pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Make use of our nationwide provider Directory to get nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You will get them from most community pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or intimate wellness clinic.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of getting non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of experiencing sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingwhenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne could be taken within 120 hours (five times) of getting non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having unsafe sex.
You take one tablet that is ellaOne. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for a fertilised egg to implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) is present from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned as part of your womb. It damages both the semen and also the egg, and stops a fertilised egg implanting in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having sex that is unprotected or, whether or not it’s feasible to calculate whenever you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most effective style of crisis contraception.
It is possible to keep the IUD in as the regular way of contraception, or a medical practioner can take it off throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception may never be ideal for every person. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you are unwell
If you are unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, confer with your GP. You might have to take another capsule.
Just exactly just How effective could it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and just how quickly you employ it.
There are 2 types of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after tablet – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Emergency contraception prevents maternity for those who haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has unsuccessful.